From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] battstat requires apmd?
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 10:45:43
1 Iain Buchanan schreef:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I've just rebuilt my system, and emerged gnome-light this time instead
5 > of gnome.
6 >
7 > I noticed battstat isn't part of gnome-applets, but when I try and
8 > emerge it, I get all these wierd deps. For a start, why does it need
9 > apmd? I thought I had it working with acpi only... (I certainly didn't
10 > have apmd on my last install). There are no useful use flags that I can
11 > see...
12 >
13 > Is there another battstat that uses acpi?
14 >
15 > $ emerge -pvt battstat
16 >
17 > These are the packages that I would merge, in reverse order:
18 >
19 > Calculating dependencies ...done!
20 > [blocks B ] x11-terms/gnome-terminal (is blocking gnome-base/gnome-core-1.4.2-r1)
21 > [blocks B ] gnome-base/gnome-desktop (is blocking gnome-base/gnome-core-1.4.2-r1)
22 > [blocks B ] gnome-base/gnome-session (is blocking gnome-base/gnome-core-1.4.2-r1)
25 >From this output, it looks like the battstat applet you're trying to
26 install is for GNOME 1.x, not GNOME 2.x, which is what you're most
27 likely running.
28
29 GNOME is not "modular" in the way that KDE is; many individual GNOME
30 "widgets" are not installable separately from the meta-package, most
31 notably with applets.
32
33 And IIrc (I don't have a laptop, so I generally ignore the battery
34 applet), the applet you're looking for is included with the
35 gnome-applets package, and will use acpid support if that USE flag is
36 enabled:
37
38 emerge -pv gnome-applets
39 >>> cfg-update-1.8.0-r3 : No new packages have been emerged, checksum
40 index OK...
41
42 These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
43
44 Calculating dependencies ...done!
45 [ebuild R ] gnome-base/gnome-applets-2.12.2 USE="acpi hal -apm
46 -debug -ipv6" 0 kB
47
48 Yes, in fact it is included:
49
50 equery files gnome-base/gnome-applets
51 [ Searching for packages matching gnome-base/gnome-applets... ]
52 * Contents of gnome-base/gnome-applets-2.12.2:
53 <snip>
54 /usr/libexec/battstat-applet-2
55 <snip>
56
57 So, since gnome-applets is not a dependency of gnome-light (!?? never
58 noticed that), just install it and you should then be able to add the
59 battstat-2 applet to the panel via the normal means of adding an applet
60 to the gnome-panel (right-click on the panel, Add to Panel, etc).
61
62 HTH,
63 Holly
64 --