From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Disk usage during emerge
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 14:56:43
1 On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 12:50:40PM +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 08/03/12 04:57, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
3 > > It came to my attention that during (after) an emerge run, df reports
4 > > considerably less space available on my / than before the emerge (everything
5 > > except /home sits on the root partition). I was wondering how this comes to
6 > > be, since I have /var/tmp/portage on tmpfs.
7 > >
8 > > I am in the middle of a KDE upgrade (4.8.0→4.8.1) right now and before I
9 > > started, I downloaded all distfiles and then looked at df /, it showed 1022
10 > > blocks, hence about 1 GB of free disk space. I am at package 115 out of 174
11 > > right now, and df shows a mere 389k blocks remaining.
12 >
13 > That's because the old files are not being deleted since they are in
14 > use. When you logout of KDE and restart the whole stack
15 > (/etc/init.d/xdm restart) then everything will be back to normal.
16
17 By jove, that's definitely it. I knew about this fact from other use cases
18 (like deleting a video file which I'm still watching. HA, do that, Windows!),
19 but never thought of it regarding emerging. I always assumed for some reason
20 that the files were kept in RAM and the physical file itself was no longer
21 relevant. Just closing all programs before logging out gave back around 350 M.
22
23 And yes, I had a typo in the original mail; instead of 1000 blocks I meant
24 1000k Blocks. And also yes, I already knew about eclean-dist. I even wrote a
25 counterpart for Debian which deletes all .debs that aren't installed anymore,
26 but keeps all the rest. Anyway, after the reboot I now have 1059k blocks free.
27 :)
28 --
29 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
30 I forbid any use of my email addresses with Facebook services.
31
32 “Oh, gravity, thou art a heartless bitch.” – Sheldon Cooper