From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] garmin gps & gentoo
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 18:10:15
1 On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 1:58 PM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > So I've been googling about GPS systems and interfacing
5 > to a linux system. In portage it looks like all I
6 > will need to use the usb with the garmin nuvi 1490
7 > is gpsd and gpsdrive?
8 >
9 > It shows up via lsusb.
10 >
11 > Any discussion or other software recommendations is most
12 > welcome.
13
14 There is no better than gpsd. Install that first, and read its
15 manpage. It's designed to have as few hooks and knobs as possible, and
16 should Just Work. At worst, you may need to install a udev so that
17 gpsd notices when your device is plugged in. xspeed is a good testing
18 utility to verify you have gpsd running properly.
19
20 #gpsd on irc.freenode.net is probably not a bad place to query, if you
21 run into problems specific to gpsd.
22
23 I've used gpsdrive on Ubuntu, and it works OK, I guess...I ran into a
24 lot of bugs, but that was a few years ago. I spent far more time with
25 kismet, but that serves a different role...
28 :wq