From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Does root=PARTUUID=<> work with DOS partition table?
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 15:54:15
1 On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 11:25 AM Grant Edwards
2 <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > On 2019-07-25, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 > > All the examples I can find of people using root=PARTUUID=<> show the
7 > > longer PARTUUID values you get with a GPT parition table. Does the
8 > > root=PARTUUID=<> mechanism only work with GPT and not with DOS
9 > > parition tables?
10 >
11 > The comments in the kernel source certinaly indicate that DOS PARTUUID
12 > values should work. From init/do_mounts.c:
13 >
14 > /*
15 > * Convert a name into device number. We accept the following variants:
16 > [...]
17 > * 6) PARTUUID=00112233-4455-6677-8899-AABBCCDDEEFF representing the
18 > * unique id of a partition if the partition table provides it.
19 > * The UUID may be either an EFI/GPT UUID, or refer to an MSDOS
20 > * partition using the format SSSSSSSS-PP, where SSSSSSSS is a zero-
21 > * filled hex representation of the 32-bit "NT disk signature", and PP
22 > * is a zero-filled hex representation of the 1-based partition number.
23 > [...]
24 >
25 > I've also tried just passing root=/dev/sdb1 (which in the current
26 > setup is consistently the device the root partition shows up on).
27 > That doesn't work either and I'm begining to suspect that the kernel
28 > simply isn't recognizing the USB storage device at all.
29 >
30 > I wish I could figure out how to get scrollback to work so I could see
31 > all of the kernel messages before the panic...
32
33 Do you have all the necessary USB drivers compiled into the kernel?
34 Check to make sure the following options are "y".
35
36 CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD -- USB 2.0
37 CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD -- USB 1.0 (non-Intel)
38 CONFIG_USB_UHCI_HCD -- USB 1.0 (Intel)
39 CONFIG_USB_XHCI_HCD -- USB 3.0
40
41 CONFIG_USB_STORAGE
42 CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD