From: karl@××××××××.se
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge failure for dev-lang/R-4.0.4
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2021 10:55:02
1 Michael:
2 ...
3 > What USE flags does "emerge -pv1 dev-lang/R" show?
4
5 # emerge -pv1 dev-lang/R
6 ...
7 [ebuild R ] dev-lang/R-4.0.4::gentoo USE="X jpeg nls openmp perl png readline static-libs tiff -cairo -doc -icu -java -lapack -minimal (-prefix) -profile -test -tk" 0 KiB
8
9 > Are you willing to watch "htop" in another window while the dev-lang/R
10 > build fails to see how much memory is free?
11
12 htop -u portage shows high cpu usage and low memory usage (something
13 like less than 2%).
14
15 if I use this instead of htop:
16 # grep -m1 ^MemFree /proc/meminfo
17 MemFree: 253332 kB
18
19 I get for -j1:
20 mean = 397662.00592
21 min = 196772
22 max = 762304
23 std = 161394.91895
24
25 I have put up data from some -j4 runs at:
26 http://aspodata.se/tmp/R/
27 where mem4* are made with ./memwatch.pl > mem4_<run#>.log. It's columns are
28 just seconds, MemFree, and MemAvailable, taken from:
29
30 $ head -3 /proc/meminfo
31 MemTotal: 6103628 kB
32 MemFree: 1028012 kB
33 MemAvailable: 2326588 kB
34
35 ///
36
37 from mem4_<run#>.log, I see that the minimum free memory is:
38 run 1 203492
39 run 2 202392
40 i.e. about 200MB.
41
42 build_1.log points the finger to sandbox. So it might be that there
43 i no problem at all with R, it might be that sandbox doesn't work here.
44 I don't know what sandbox requires from the kernel so there might be
45 some syscall missing.
46
47 I did run 2 as
48 FEATURES="-sandbox -usersandbox" emerge -aqv1 dev-lang/R
49
50 In build_2.log it just says Segment fault in the vincinity of
51 NEWS.2.rds, NEWS.rds, base.Rdts, and methods.Rdts. The first
52 two is mentioned in doc/Makefile, and the latter two in
53 src/library/Makefile. Going into doc and src/library and makeing
54 thoose four works without any errors.
55
56 Regards,
57 /Karl Hammar