From: Madhurya Kakati <mkakati2805@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Newbie question
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 15:45:35
1 Philip, Thanks for the detailed answer.
2 On 5/25/2010 9:09 PM, Philip Webb wrote:
3 > 100525 Madhurya Kakati wrote:
4 >
5 >> I am currently using Archlinux and Windows 7 and want to try out Gentoo.
6 >>
7 > Welcome aboard ! -- Gentoo requires a bit of work, time & attention,
8 > but is not difficult & gives you real control on how you use your machine.
11 Only reason i will be using gentoo is for this ;)
12 >> I guess Grub will be overwritten by Gentoo,
13 >>
14 > Not really.
17 >> but will it contain the options to boot Arch kernel images automatically?
18 >>
19 > You can keep your whole Arch & M$ systems in separate partitions,
20 > while installing Gentoo on another partition(s) alongside.
23 >> I really dont wanna mess up Grub.
24 >>
25 > I use Lilo, which is easier if you don't change things often,
26 > but you sb able to find advice re Grub here or on the Gentoo Forum.
27 >
28 > First, read the Gentoo User's Guide carefully,
29 > then follow it to the letter when you install Gentoo.
30 >
31 I have read that many times. Just need to get a printout now.