From: ABCD <en.ABCD@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: kdelibs -plasma -webkit
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 19:00:15
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 James wrote:
5 > Hello,
6 >
7 > I kinda got my first kde 4.2.1 install working,
8 > as can best be describe as a "random_walk".
9 >
10 > So I'm still getting it all straight in my head.
11 >
12 > Today upon a routine update to world, I noticed
13 > that kdelibs 4.2.1-r3 want to rebuild, minus
14 > the plasma and webkit flags:
15 >
16 > ebuild R ] kde-base/kdelibs-4.2.1-r3 USE="3dnow
17 > acl alsa bzip2 fam jpeg2k mmxnls opengl
18 > semantic-desktop spell sse sse2 ssl
19 >
20 > Not good methinks, but, I'm looking for somebody
21 > a little better versed in kde 4 to confirm
22 > that I should leave these flags.
23 >
24 > If so, my default (favorite place) for this
25 > is adding the flags to make.conf. After all
26 > I manage more than a dozen workstations
27 > and I try to have a much as possible the same
28 > on these machines.
29 >
30 > Or should I rebuild kdelibs without these
31 > flags?
32 >
33 > Sure I know what the flages do:
34 >
35 > plasma:
36 > Build optional plasma widgets that require kde-base/libplasma
37 >
38 > webkit:
39 > Enable bindings to QT Webkit
40 > enable WebKit support
41 > Use net-libs/webkit-gtk for rendering.
42 > Enable QT-WebKit rendering support
43 > Enable the webkit rendering engine
44 > Enables gtk WebKit support
45 > Use qt-webkit rendering engine for showing url thumbmails and for other things
46 > that needs webbrowser intergration.
47 > Enable the webkit rendering engine for item rendering
48 > Use net-libs/webkit-gtk for rendering rather than net-libs/xulrunner
49 > Enable x11-libs/qt-webkit support, for more sophisticated online help display
50 > using webkit's HTML renderer.
53 > But I have too little wisdom with kde4 to discern
54 > best practices. My default goal is to use
55 > sets to have something smilarly to the meta
56 > stuff, but not using meta now, so customizing
57 > my onw sets, or following other Gentooers
58 > that want massive (all) kde applications
59 > on many workstations, as to have one
60 > semantic to suppport, without "meta".
63 > James
64
65 You almost certainly want +plasma, as in this case +plasma means "build
66 the base libraries required for plasma", which means if you don't, the
67 desktop and panel won't work anymore. I'm not sure about webkit, but
68 that would probably be another, "if in doubt, enable".
69
70 - --
71 ABCD