From: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] recommended applications
Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 10:44:42
1 behrouz khosravi <bz.khosravi@×××××.com> [15-05-24 12:39]:
2 > Hello everyone. After spending about a year in the world of linux (and
3 > mostly beloved gentoo!) I have realized that the key to a stable and fast
4 > machine is to keep the system as small as possible.
5 > So I am going to use console based tools mostly. I will also replace KDE
6 > with i3wm.
7 >
8 > What do you recommend as a replacement for kmail? (is mutt a good choise?)
9 >
10 > What about IRC client?
11 >
12 > Torrent client?
13 >
14 > I know that I can use google! but I would like to know your opinion.
15 > Thanks for your time.
16
17 Hi behrouz,
18
19 If you want to be fast and non-gui-applications are as acceptable
20 for as gui-applications for you...
21
22 kmail => mutt/muttng
23 gui-editors => vim
24 xine-gui => mplayer/mpv
25 session-management => windowmanagement
26 I dont know i3wm (which simply means "I dont know" ... there
27 is nothing hidden "between the lines" :) I am using openbox.
28
29 Only my two cent... ;)
30 Have fun!
31 Best regards,