From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD recmmendation / input
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 09:59:33
1 On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 12:54 AM, Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > No, I wouldn't get 1TB SSD too expensive but something like 300GB I might
3 > consider it.
4 > Are they worth the investment? What brand do you have and how long?
7 SSDs improve performance significantly, but as you point out they are
8 quite expensive. If you use one you should consider using a
9 filesystem optimized for flash.
10
11 If you're talking about a laptop then your options are going to be
12 limited, since they're typically not overflowing with drive bays.
13
14 However, for a desktop/server I would recommend a small SSD for the OS
15 and selected other files, and spinning disks for general storage. I
16 have a 64GB SSD which is fairly inexpensive and use it for my root,
17 but home and selected directories out of var are on spinning disk.
18 So, I can have 7TB of disk space and keep the cost reasonably low, and
19 get almost the same benefit out of having the most-frequently-accessed
20 files on SSD. I use RAID for the spinning disks, and do daily backups
21 of the SSD - little of importance on the SSD changes all that often
22 anyway and since it is only 64GB a restore will go quickly.
23
24 I actually mount my browser cache, /var/tmp, and /usr/portage on
25 tmpfs. Distfiles and pkgdir are on the spinning disks.
26
27 If the /usr move ever becomes an option on Gentoo then it would get
28 even simpler - stick /usr on the SSD.
29
30 Rich