From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems with MAKEOPTS -j
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 14:21:00
1 On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 2:37 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
2 > Have anyone experienced problems with MAKEOPTS?
3 >
4 > I have a quad-core system, so I put in "-j5". But that resulted in
5 > emerge fails for binutils and ppl. I have to change it to "-j3" before
6 > ppl can be emerged, even "-j1" before binutils can be emerged.
7 >
8 > Anyone experiencing the same?
9
10 I use -j12 and don't have any issues. I also use "emerge -j" along
11 with it which sometimes results in hundreds of gcc running at once
12 (emerging all of kde simultaneously), and it survives.
13
14 Certain rare packages don't support parallel make, but typically the
15 ebuild will override your -j setting with -j1 instead. binutils for
16 certain works on my system with -j12.