From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: X11 from another machine [SOLVED]
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 15:06:25
1 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 >> However, the usual way to use remote X-based programs is just to let
3 >> SSH do that. It can provide a tunnel for X. This is especially easy if
4 >> the remote SSH server daemon has set its "X11Forwarding" configuration
5 >> setting set to "yes" (otherwise, it is really a bit harder and not
6 >> suggested). Then, you just would connect using "ssh -X user@host" and
7 >> that's it, SSH will care for creating a socket on the remote machine
8 >> and set the DISPLAY variable accordingly.
9 >
10 > NB: I've found that using -Y instead of -X can speed up some
11 > applications by a factor of 50 or more.
14 Thank you all for your responses, although, due to me not initially
15 providing all of the needed info, some peoples responses were not valid.
16 My problem was I had to forward from an 8 year old SUN server, with no
17 keyboard or monitor to my linux box. It's running Sunos5.? and DOES NOT
18 have SSH - grrrr!!! Only telnet!!!!!
19
20 Between the replies I got and and more Googling, I had to:
21
22 telnet into the SUN box.
23
24 On the SUN box export the DISPLAY system variable with it pointing to my
25 machine.
26
27 Tell the linux box default xorg window manager and then kdm, when I
28 subsequently installed it, to not ignore tcp ie comment out the
29 "-nolisten tcp" config variable.
30
31 Couldn't get xauth to work so I used xhost to tell my machine to accept
32 the connection from the Sun server.
33
34 Fired up the CAD system from the telnet login and hey presto,
35 MicroStation on my linux box.
36
37 Sounds simple but the amount of stuffing around I had to do before it
38 eventually worked....probably best left unsaid. Anyway, thanks to all
39 for the help and here's hoping I get access to SSH the next time I have
40 to do anything like this.
41
42 Regards,
43 Andrew