From: felix@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Encfs suddenly read-only
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 12:36:29
1 I have been using encfs to store most of my home dir for ages. I rebooted Sunday morning (it's a ~amd64 system) to change kernel to 3.3.5 from 3.3.4, and sometime overnight, after the nightly backups and mail archives had run, the encfs mounted partition became read-only. I know the timing only by the cron jobs; the nightly mail backup moves files from the /home partition to the encfs partition, and it had not failed. I unmounted the encfs partition, remounted, and it was read-only right from the get go.
2
3 There are no errors in /var/log/messages of any sort since the 3.3.5 boot. The mount command showed both the encfs partition and the underlying regular partition as rw, not ro.
4
5 I just now rebooted back to 3.3.4, and it's read-write, but so was 3.3.5 at the beginning, and for at least 20 hours. I do not know if the read-only switch was from a time delay, from some activity, from the kernel change, or some other package. If it lasts a day or two without switching to read-only, I will try 3.3.5 again.
6
7 I am going to set up a screen session to check the rw capability every minute, to see if pinning down the time helps any with the log file.
8
9 Does anyone know of any package changes that would have caused this? Neither google nor the gentoo bug search found anything interesting for "encfs" or "fuser".
13 Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@×××××××.com
14 GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E 6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933
15 I've found a solution to Fermat's Last Theorem but I see I've run out of room o