From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cleaning redundant configuration files
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 22:49:01
1 On Thursday 02 June 2011 21:28:48 David W Noon wrote:
2 > On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 19:00:02 +0200, Neil Bothwick wrote about Re:
3 >
4 > [gentoo-user] Cleaning redundant configuration files:
5 > >On Thu, 2 Jun 2011 17:26:44 +0100, David W Noon wrote:
6 > [snip]
7 >
8 > >> Now, nearly everybody modifies /etc/updatedb.conf. This does not
9 > >> remove that name from mlocate's manifest. So, Portage knows
10 > >> precisely to which package the file belongs. Hence I think your
11 > >> assertion of "I don't know what this is," is specious.
12 > >
13 > >You have picked an excellent example, because mlocate is not the
14 > >package that owns or has owned /etc/updatedb.conf, slocate does too.
15 >
16 > Wrong.
17 >
18 > One can (well, could) only have one of slocate and mlocate installed at
19 > any given time. Whichever one is installed owns /etc/updatedb.conf,
20 > unless both have been unmerged and the file is a remnant, but it cannot
21 > be owned by both. Moreover, slocate has been deleted from the main
22 > Portage tree, so it doesn't own anything any more.
23
24 and it is still installed on some systems. And there is no reason to remove it
25 on uninstalling slocate if you plan to install mlocate.
26
27 Don't touch things you did not install.
28
29 Is the only sane rule for packet manager.