From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] xfs recovery + kernel panic
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 00:49:02
1 On 7/7/06, Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > A way out of the topic, but its a question that I want to ask.
3 > What is the performance hit of using encrypted file system?
4 > I hate laptops, but you never know ;-)
5
6 Not so bad. I really don't notice any real performance problem using
7 it, certainly not much worse than a typical laptop HD:
8
9 carcharias rjf # hdparm -Tt /dev/sda /dev/sys/swap
10
11 /dev/sda:
12 Timing cached reads: 4096 MB in 1.99 seconds = 2053.20 MB/sec
13 Timing buffered disk reads: 142 MB in 3.01 seconds = 47.17 MB/sec
14
15 /dev/sys/swap:
16 Timing cached reads: 4848 MB in 1.99 seconds = 2432.13 MB/sec
17 HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(null) (wait for flush complete) failed: Inappropriate
18 ioctl for device
19 Timing buffered disk reads: 138 MB in 3.01 seconds = 45.79 MB/sec
20 HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(null) (wait for flush complete) failed: Inappropriate
21 ioctl for device
22
23 The biggest hit is in CPU, and having a dual-core system helps *a lot*
24 here. Running a "dd if=/dev/sys/root of=/dev/null bs=64k" while
25 running top at the same time shows that kcryptd consumes about 75% of
26 the processor time on a *single* CPU.
27
28 BTW, I also use dm-crypt on my AMD X2 desktop at home. There I have a
29 raid0 array which can read at almost 130MB/sec total bandwidth. If
30 memory serves, using dm-crypt there cut my read bandwidth down to
31 about 105MB/s, and writes to 90MB/s. The issue there seems mostly
32 that dm-crypt is a single-thread, even when encrypting multiple
33 devices, so cannot really take advantage of my dual-core processor in
34 that system.
35
36 I think loop-AES gives higher performance on that box due to having
37 one thread per encrypted device, but it isn't enough for me to worry
38 about.
39
40 Side note: I think it is appalling that government and business
41 laptops are generally so insecure. Every week brings news of yet
42 another laptop theft that contained sensitive data for hundreds of
43 thousands to millions of people, and oh, btw, we didn't encrypt it
44 "because it's hard". Maybe I'm paranoid, but I like knowing that if
45 my house is ever robbed and my computer stolen, I don't have to worry
46 that the crooks have all my financial records!
47
48 > Bug-report...Well I'm very confused here. Isn't it Gentoo the right
49 > place to file
50 > a bug-report at? After all these sources get patched with gentoo
51 > patches. I haven't
52
53 Well you can certainly file on bugs.gentoo.org, and let the gentoo
54 devs work with upstream to find a fix. And in many cases that is the
55 right thing to do, so I'll leave it up to you.
56
57 My view is that Gentoo devs are all volunteers, and very busy, so if I
58 come across an issue that is clearly a problem with $upstream, and not
59 with any gentoo patches or compile options, and I feel confident that
60 I can communicate properly with $upstream, then I will file the bug
61 there instead. The fix can then get filtered down to Gentoo. In
62 fact, if it might be awhile before the fix filters down, I would file
63 a bug both places, with the gentoo one being "please apply patch
64 referenced in http://bugs.upstream.org/#12345".
65
66 > On the other hand gentoo people have masked these sources with "~" so they
67 > could also refuse to take the report (unlikely,but..).
68
69 Yeah, unlikely, considering that ~arch is supposed to be for testing!!
70
71 > them and send bug-reports directly to the mainstream developers who of
72 > course refuse to accept the report because Gentoo has patched their sources
73
74 Well, like I said, for me this depends on the nature of the bug. So
75 far I've never had $upstream reject a bug report because I was using
76 Gentoo. Well, ok, I have, but that was a commercial software company
77 that just said "try {RedHat,SuSe}".
78
79 -Richard
80 --