From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs.ext@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Loop-AES versus DM-Crypt versus ???
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:45:41
1 Am Montag, 23. Juni 2008 schrieb ext Chris Walters:
2 > Sorry if this subject has been hashed and rehashed again, but I was
3 > wondering which Gentoo partition encryption scheme is considered the
4 > best, in terms of:
5 >
6 > 1. Security
7
8 Don't know, I'm not a crypto expert.
9
10 > 2. Ease of setup and use
11
12 dm-crypt with LUKS is IMHO the easier one to setup.
13
14 > 3. Number and type of ciphers available
15
16 Maybe I'm wrong, but the name loop-aes tells this, right? With LUKS, one can
17 use (nearly?) any cipher/hash supported by the kernel.
18
19 > This question is inspired by my current use of loop-AES on my home
20 > directories, and my desire to encrypt my whole filesystem - except for a
21 > boot loader partition.
22
23 Gentoo has support for both. Big plus of LUKS is the ability to assign more
24 than one key (so my wife can boot the laptop with her own key).
25
26 HTH...
27
28 Dirk
29 --
30 Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
31 Configuration Manager | Fax: +49 (0)211 47068 111
32 Capgemini Deutschland | Mail: dirk.heinrichs@×××××××××.com
33 Wanheimerstraße 68 | Web: http://www.capgemini.com
34 D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733
35 GPG Public Key C2E467BB | Keyserver: wwwkeys.pgp.net