From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Slighty confused about net connections
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 06:44:01
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> [14-11-29 07:32]:
2 > On 29/11/2014 08:14, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 >
4 > > After your email I read the output of dmesg more precisely ... and now
5 > > knowing (due to your post :) what to look for and found that
6 > > the detection of another usb-ethernet-device attached to my PC created
7 > > another usb<n> (first: usb0, second: usb1).
8 > >
9 > > I put the first Arietta into the net 192.168.10.x and the second
10 > > Arietta into net 192.168.11.x and do two different ifconfig for usb0
11 > > and the other one for usb1 and TADA! - I could ssh into both!
12 > >
13 > > This is not THAT elegant (wasting a complete subnet), but it proofes,
14 > > that both boards are /relly/ ok...
17 > In truth you are not wasting a complete subnet (whatever that is), you
18 > have merely specified a range 256 times larger than what you want to have.
19 >
20 > In networking you are not limited to ranges that end on an octet
21 > boundary (we got rid of *that* limitation 10+ years ago). Instead just
22 > do this:
23 >
24 > board #1: 192.168.0.100/32
25 > board #2: 192.168.0.101/32
26 >
27 > Now you have specified "subnet" that are each exactly one ip address
28 > wide. All modern software know what to do with this.
29 >
30 > Adapt the addresses to your own network design and you should be good to go.
35 > Alan
38 > --
39 > Alan McKinnon
40 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com