From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Stuck in XDM
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 21:35:45
1 I thought I had it configured for KDM, things are not going well.
2
3 rc-update says xdm is in default (and
4 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Activate_Graphical_login
5 says this is a good thing.
6
7 /etc/conf.d/xdm says
8 DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm"
9 and /etc/rc.conf just has a comment to look in that place, plus
10 XSESSION="kde-3.5"
11
12 When I'm logged out, however, I've got that ugly login thing that
13 takes only a username and password. There's no way to reboot without
14 somehow logging in as root, either on a PTY or through XDM.
15
16 I do have kdm-3.5.5-r1 emerged.
17
18 Logging does take me to KDE, but the menus in KDE also provide no way
19 to reboot. Going to root via su is not wonderful either, as execution
20 /sbin/shutdown -r does really strange things until it finally gets
21 clobbered
22
23 I'd like to clean this up: I'd like kdm, and I'd like a menu entry
24 for rebooting.
25
26 Advice?
29 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD