From: AJ Spagnoletti <rubiks120@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] xorg-server-1.5.* and compiz-fusion on intel 945GM
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 21:18:19
1 For the past month I have been trying to figure this issue out to no
2 avail. When the new xorg-server went stable a little over a month ago
3 there were several posts related to opengl performance on the intel
4 graphics cards none of which I was able to pull any information from.
5 Prior to the upgrade, while running xorg-server 1.3 and intel video
6 driver 2.1, I was able to run gnome with compiz-fusion (no flames on
7 gnome please) without issue, and glxgears (yes I know that its not a
8 benchmarking tool but it will illustrate the point just fine here) ran
9 at about 700 fps. After the upgrade which included:
10
11 xf86-video-intel-2.7.1
12 mesa-7.4.2
13 xorg-server-1.5.3-r6
14 libdrm-2.4.11
15
16 My performance has dropped to the point where compiz-fusion no longer
17 runs well on my computer. glxgears shows only 60 fps. Following some
18 suggestions from earlier posts to the list I have tried upgrading my
19 kernel and now run 2.6.28 with the i915 driver in the kernel selected.
20 glxinfo shows:
21
22 OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 945GM GEM 20090114
23
24 Anyone have any ideas that may help improve the performance on this
25 card, FWIW the laptop is a Dell Inspiron E1405 with a GMA950 Intel
26 chipset.
27
28 Thanks,
29