From: Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [HEADSUP] libreoffice versus bison-2.5
Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 18:27:56
1 On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 08:10:02PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 16:38 on Sunday 22 May 2011, Indi did opine
3 > thusly:
4 >
5 > > It's unfortunate that we don't have small, fast, light, standalone
6 > > programs to deal with the formats of word, excel, powerpoint, etc but
7 > > if we did odds are most people would shun them for a big, bloaty
8 > > office suite anyway. Personally, I'd love it if I could open and edit
9 > > those office formats in vim...
12 > What makes you think they don't *already* exist?
15 The fact that none of your examples fit the bill.
16
17 > Small, fast, light, standalone: yeah, they are all there.
20 Your definition of "small, fast, and light" strikes me as most
21 peculiar. Anything that requires a full-bloat DE (or enoough of its libs
22 it might as well do so) is not "standalone" by any definition, and is unlikely
23 to be "small, fast, and light". I know all things are relative, but be
24 real.
27 caveat utilitor