From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Things that can be improved
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 18:53:15
1 Rafael Fernández López schrieb:
2
3 > I know that lots of you don't know "dpkg-reconfigure", well, it will
4 > write the /etc/whatever.conf file for you asking you in an interactive
5 > way what do you want to do.
6
7 But etc-update is interactive as well, isn't it?
8
9 > process, so I'd suggest to print information (or warning) messages in a
10 > more efficient way, for example: AT THE END OF THE EMERGE PROCESS, not
11 > at the end of each package emerge process. I think that
12 > PORTAGE_ELOG_CLASSES, PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM and PORTAGE_ELOG_MAILURI is
13 > not so necessary if all messages are printed out at the end of the
14 > global emerge process.
15
16 I used to think the same, but changed my mind with the introduction
17 of PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM="mail" (or actually, ="custom"). Reason: This
18 way, I get all the messages mailed to me, for me to review. That's
19 *IMO* even better. Reason: You get the messages earlier and suppose
20 the system crashes in the middle of the emerge. If all the messages
21 were just shown at the end, some messages might be lost.
22
23 No. With the advent of PORTAGE_ELOG_*, everything is fine as far as
24 I'm concerned.
25
26 Alexander Skwar
27 --
28 Im Endeffekt war alles cooler als letztes Jahr, obwohl
29 ich bis Donnerstag dachte, das es nicht geht.
30 -- Igor Gilitschenski
31 --
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list