From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] hplip and hp-check
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 04:40:57
1 I have a network attached HP officejet 7310.
2 It works fine with cups as a printer but I cannot get it reognized for
3 scanning. The officejet has address 192.168.1.50 on our private
4 network. I have named it ss (for south salem, our home town)
5
6 Running hp-check produced several errors (full output below)
7
8 1. libnetsnmp-devel not found. Is this needed and if so where is it.
9 eix libnetsnmp found nothing.
10
11 2. linux standard base LSB support not found
12
13 3. Complaint about a different print (nyu, a work machine)
14
15 4. Complaint that the officejet is not HPLIP installed. I could not
16 figure out how to use the "hp:" backend to cups as recommended by
17 hp-check.
18
19 5. As noted in the hp-check output, the scanner cannot be found by
20 scanimage -L. I had previusly run scanimage -L manually with the
21 same result.
22
23 Any help would be appreciated. In particular I would like to
24
25 1. Use the scanner (main problem)
26
27 2. Have cups use the hp: backend (perhaps this will give insight on 1
28 as well).
29
30 thanks,
31 allan
32
33 ================================================================
34
35 Output of hp-check
36
37 ajglap gottlieb # hp-setup
38
39 HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 1.7.4a)
40 Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 4.5
41
42 Copyright (c) 2001-7 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
43 This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
44 This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
45 under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.
46
47 Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
48 |Done.
49 ajglap gottlieb # hp-check
50
51 HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 1.7.4a)
52 Dependency/Version Check Utility ver. 5.3
53
54 Copyright (c) 2001-7 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
55 This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
56 This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
57 under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.
60 ---------------
61 | SYSTEM INFO |
62 ---------------
63
64 Basic system information:
65 Linux ajglap 2.6.20-gentoo-r7 #3 SMP Sun May 6 17:50:09 EDT 2007 i686 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
66
67 Detected distro (/etc/issue):
68 unknown 0.0
69
70 Detected distro (lsb_release):
71 error: lsb_release not found.
72
73 Currently installed HPLIP version...
74 HPLIP 1.7.4a currently installed in '/usr/share/hplip'.
75
76 Current contents of '/etc/hp/hplip.conf' file:
77 # hplip.conf
78
79 [hpiod]
80 # port=0 (dynamic IP port)
81 port=2208
82 [hpssd]
83 # port=0 (dynamic IP port)
84 port=2207
85
86 [hplip]
87 version=1.7.4a
88 jdprobe=0
89
90 [dirs]
91 home=/usr/share/hplip
92 run=/var/run
93 ppd=/usr/share/ppd/HP
94 ppdbase=/usr/share/ppd
95 doc=/usr/share/doc/hplip-1.7.4a
96
97 # Following values are determined at configure time and cannot be changed.
98 [configure]
99 network-build=0
100 pp-build=0
101 gui-build=0
102 scanner-build=1
103 fax-build=0
104 cups11-build=0
105 installinitd=
106 chkconfig=
107 internal-tag=1.7.4.13
110 HPLIP running?
111 Yes, HPLIP is running (OK).
112
113 HPOJ running?
114 No, HPOJ is not running (OK).
115
116 Checking Python version...
117 OK, version 2.4.4 installed
118
119 Checking PyQt version...
120 OK, version 3.17 installed.
121
122 Checking SIP version...
123 OK, Version 4.5.2 installed
124
125 ----------------
126 | DEPENDENCIES |
127 ----------------
130 Checking for dependency libcrypto - OpenSSL cryptographic library...
131 OK, found.
132
133 Checking for dependency gcc - GNU Project C and C++ Compiler...
134 OK, found.
135
136 Checking for dependency SANE - Scanning library...
137 OK, found.
138
139 Checking for dependency GhostScript - PostScript and PDF language interpreter and previewer...
140 OK, found.
141
142 Checking for dependency libjpeg - JPEG library...
143 OK, found.
144
145 Checking for dependency libpthread - POSIX threads library...
146 OK, found.
147
148 Checking for dependency make - GNU make utility to maintain groups of programs...
149 OK, found.
150
151 Checking for dependency python-devel - Python development files...
152 OK, found.
153
154 Checking for dependency Reportlab - PDF library for Python...
155 error: Not found!
156 This is an OPTIONAL dependency. Some HPLIP functionality may not function properly.
157
158 Checking for dependency PyQt - Qt interface for Python...
159 OK, found.
160
161 Checking for dependency cups-devel- Common Unix Printing System development files...
162 OK, found.
163
164 Checking for dependency ppdev - Parallel port support kernel module....
165 error: Not found!
166 This is an OPTIONAL dependency. Some HPLIP functionality may not function properly.
167
168 Checking for dependency libusb - USB library...
169 OK, found.
170
171 Checking for dependency scanimage - Shell scanning program...
172 OK, found.
173
174 Checking for dependency libnetsnmp-devel - SNMP networking library development files...
175 error: Not found!
176 error: This is a REQUIRED dependency. Please make sure that this dependency is installed before installing or running HPLIP.
177
178 Checking for dependency Python 2.2 or greater - Python programming language...
179 OK, found.
180
181 Checking for dependency LSB - Linux Standard Base support...
182 error: Not found!
183 error: This is a REQUIRED dependency. Please make sure that this dependency is installed before installing or running HPLIP.
184
185 Checking for dependency xsane - Graphical scanner frontend for SANE...
186 OK, found.
187
188 Checking for dependency cups - Common Unix Printing System...
189 OK, found.
190
191 Checking for dependency Python 2.3 or greater - Required for fax functionality...
192 OK, found.
195 ----------------------
196 | INSTALLED PRINTERS |
197 ----------------------
200 lj
201 --
202 Device URI: hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_1200?serial=00CNCY161548
203 Installed in HPLIP? Yes
204 PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/lj.ppd
205 PPD Description: HP LaserJet 1200 Postscript (recommended)
206 Printer status: printer lj is idle. enabled since Tue Jun 19 20:58:48 2007
209 nyu
210 ---
211 Device URI: socket://128.122.140.149
212 Installed in HPLIP? No
213 PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/nyu.ppd
214 PPD Description: HP LaserJet 4250 Postscript (recommended)
215 Printer status: printer nyu is idle. enabled since Sat Apr 21 18:05:37 2007
216
217 error: Printer is not HPLIP installed. Printers must use the hp: or hpfax: CUPS backend to function in HPLIP. (You can still print to this printer using another backend and HPIJS.)
218
219 ss
220 --
221 Device URI: socket://192.168.1.50
222 Installed in HPLIP? No
223 PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/ss.ppd
224 PPD Description: HP OfficeJet 7300 Foomatic/hpijs (recommended)
225 Printer status: printer ss now printing ss-225. enabled since Wed Jun 20 00:22:54 2007
226 Connected to 192.168.1.50...
227
228 error: Printer is not HPLIP installed. Printers must use the hp: or hpfax: CUPS backend to function in HPLIP. (You can still print to this printer using another backend and HPIJS.)
231 ----------------------
232 | SANE CONFIGURATION |
233 ----------------------
234
235 'hpaio' in '/etc/sane.d/dll.conf'...
236 OK, found. SANE backend 'hpaio' is properly set up.
237
238 Checking output of 'scanimage -L'...
239
240 No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
241 check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
242 sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
243 which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
246 ---------------------
247 | PYTHON EXTENSIONS |
248 ---------------------
249
250 Checking 'cupsext' CUPS extension...
251 OK, found.
252
253 Checking 'pcardext' Photocard extension...
254 OK, found.
257 6 errors were detected.
258 Please refer to the installation instructions at:
259 http://hplip.sourceforge.net/install/index.html
260 --
261 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list