From: Denis <denis.che@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel upgrading and linux symlink
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 18:24:57
1 On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 12:52 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > And in fact does it really matter if its pointing at the newly
3 > installed or actual running kernel, when kernel compiling operations
4 > take place?
5
6 When I upgrade a kernel, I first change the symlink using eselect to
7 point to the source I'm about to install. Then, after I configure and
8 compile the kernel, I use the "module-rebuild rebuild" to rebuild any
9 kernel modules against the new source. Move the bzImage to /boot,
10 reboot, and that's it. I don't know how genkernel changes any of this
11 - I use manual menuconfig.