From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Which 'tools' package for VMware DomU?
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 18:58:45
1 On 3/30/2011 12:55 PM, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 > Hello, list!
3 >
4 > I want to deploy some Gentoo-based VMs on VMware. From portage-search,
5 > I see some 'tools' related to VMware, namely:
6 >
7 > * vmware-tools
8 >
9 > * open-vm-tools
10 >
11 > * open-vm-tools-kmod
12 >
13 > What are the differences? And which one should I use if I want to use
14 > VMware's PVSCSI and VMXNET?
15
16 As I understand things, open-vm-tools is just an open-source version of
17 vmware-tools, but uses the same code base and is managed by VMWare. Both
18 of them should have the modules you want. Unless you have a compelling
19 reason to use the pre-built stuff from the vmware-tools tarball I'd go
20 with the open-vm-tools one.
21
22 --Mike