From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Mystery: powertop shows "emerge" causing wake-ups, but emerge is not running.
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 20:46:33
1 Hi,
2
3 When running powertop on an idle system, I noticed that "emerge" is in
4 the list of items causing wake-ups. It is virtually always 8.0
5 wake-ups per 10 second sample (occasionally 8.1 wake-ups, maybe a
6 result of rounding). It is always there.
7
8 The puzzling bit is that emerge is not running at all. I do not have
9 any cron jobs running emerge. "ps aux | grep emerge" shows nothing.
10
11 Even when I am running emerge, even when emerge is using 100% cpu
12 time, the "emerge" entry in powertop remains at 8.0. ("[kernel
13 scheduler] Load balancing tick" is what represents almost all real
14 activity.)
15
16 My uname -a:
17 Linux black 2.6.35.5 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Sep 23 00:04:26 CDT 2010
18 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
19
20 Using powertop-1.13 on ~amd64.
21
22 Maybe powertop needs to be updated for newer kernels? Mabye "emerge"
23 has an alternative meaning inside of powertop or linux kernel? A
24 search of the source code of both don't reveal anything that I can
25 see...
26
27 Do any of you have "emerge" in your powertop output? Does anyone know
28 what this means?
29
30 Thanks,
31 Paul