From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gst-plugins-*
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 02:37:38
1 On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 7:34 PM, <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
2 > I shamefully had not run a --depclean for a few months.
3 > Today I did and was surprised by the barrage of gst-plugins to be
4 > removed.
5 >
6 > I have not changed any USE flags nor removed any packages.
7 >
8 > The plugins to remove include a large bunch where the 0.10.* version is
9 > to go but the 1.2.* version is to stay. This I understand, but there
10 > several where the only version present is to be removed.
11 >
12 > I suspect all is well and I should let --depclean do its job, but wanted
13 > to check here that this doesn't look suspicious.
14
15 As you rightly guessed, most modern software uses gstreamer-1.x,
16 instead of gstreamer-0.10. But the changes from 0.10 to 1.0 also
17 involved the removal of some plugins, to be replaced with new ones, or
18 to be merged into others in some cases. So even if a 0.10 plugin is to
19 be removed, without an equivalent one obviously available for 1.0,
20 that doesn't mean you will loose any functionality.
21
22 In most cases, having gst-plugins-meta with the right USE flags is enough.
23
24 Regards.
25 --
26 Canek Peláez Valdés
27 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias