From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Epson CX5400 printer and scanner conflict?
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 17:39:33
1 On 7/15/06, Paul Stear <gentoo@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 > Last week I needed to use the scanner part of my MFP and managed to get thing
4 > working by using Neil's suggestion that I enter a USB rule
5 > in /etc/udev/rules.d/10-udev.rules, so I entered the following:-
6 > SYSFS{product}=="USB MFP", SYSFS{manufacturer}=="EPSON", GROUP:="scanner",
7 > MODE:="0660"
8 > This worked well and I was able to scan.
9 > However, I have just discovered that the printing side of my epson CX5400
10 > scanner/printer is not working.
11 > If I remove the line from the rules file that the printer works fine, but of
12 > course the scanner is now not working.
13
14 As I see it, you have a couple of options:
15
16 1. Change the group that cups runs under to "scanner" in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf.
17
18 2. Change the GROUP:= setting to be "lp". This will let cups access
19 the device again. You will then need to add your user account to the
20 lp group in order to scan.
21
22 3. Change your groups so that lp and scanner have the same group number (gid).
23
24 4. Make a new group specifically for this device, and do both 1 and 2
25 with the new group to let both cups and your user account access the
26 device.
27
28 If this is the only local printer you have, I would probably just do #1.
29
30 HTH,
31 -Richard
32 --