From: thegeezer <thegeezer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] backup hardware setup
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 21:09:57
1 On 06/24/2014 09:52 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > Don't ignore the potential for logical errors. If you have some script
3 > that magically rsyncs stuff then don't make the mistake of moving data
4 > over and rsyncing the old copy over the new, or mounting the devices
5 > in a manner that isn't robust when udev changes all your device
6 > labels, and so on. That seems like the most likely way your data is
7 > going to get scrambled, unless you have them both in your car and end
8 > up in a crash. That was one of the reasons I went with btrfs for my
9 > offline copy.
10 cunning, i like it.
11 i like it so much i think i will do this myself
12 > If it unmounts, then I know I have two copies of everything. If it
13 > mounts, I know it found both mirrors. If I scrub and there are no
14 > errors, then I know both copies are good. You can do that in other
15 > ways, but make sure you actually catch the failure modes. Rich