From: Gene Hannan <gjhannan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: new scanner : how to activate for Gentoo : no success
Date: Sat, 06 May 2017 18:50:08
1 On 05/05/2017 04:27 PM, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 170504 Philip Webb wrote:
3 >> I want to get my new Epson V550 working on Gentoo,
4 >> having successfully installed Epson's driver on Mint.
5 >>
6 >> I installed the Gentoo pkg 'dpkg', which handles .deb archives,
7 >> & listed the content of the 3 .deb files in the Epson driver pkg.
8 >> They cb viewed at http://chass.utoronto.ca/~purslow/test/
9 >> with names beginning with 'v550'.
10 >>
11 >> It appears that the pkg installs a utility 'iscan',
12 >> a Sane plugin called 'epkowa', which is not available via Sane-backends
13 >> ( /etc/hotplug/usb/libsane.usermap doesn't list it),
14 >> plus some further data files + a lot of dox.
15 >
16 > I've tried 3 methods without success :
17 > (1) install Iscan via Portage & copy the other files in the .deb ;
18 > (2) copy all the files in the .deb (apart from dox) (list checked) ;
19 > (3) try to run the install.sh script.
20 >
21 > None of them succeeds in getting the scanner recognised.
22 >
23 > There is a pkg media-gfx/iscan-plugin-gt-x820 for a V600 :
24 > I could take the V550 back & exchange it for a V600
25 > & try to install Iscan + data + that plugin.
26 >
27 > Any suggestions are very welcome.
30 I have an Epson 4490 which is supported by epkowa plugin
31 iscan-plugin-gt-x750. I found that ebuild on an overlay long ago. That
32 ebuild looks much like the ones currently in the tree for newer models.
33 In each of the ebuilds I looked at, there is an "iscan-registry" command
34 executed subsequent to installing all the files which registers the
35 plugin. Perhaps this is what is missing. The registration command
36 includes a USB identifier which will differ with scanner model.