From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't ping remote system
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2013 18:35:50
1 On 01/09/2013 20:07, Grant wrote:
2 >>>>>>>> My laptop can't ping my remote system but it can ping others
3 >>>>>>>> (google.com, yahoo.com, etc). I've tried disabling my firewall on
4 >>>>>>>> both ends with '/etc/init.d/shorewall stop && shorewall clear'. Could
5 >>>>>>>> my AT&T business ADSL connection on the remote system be blocking
6 >>>>>>>> inbound pings?
7 >>>
8 >>> I did 'traceroute -w 30 -I ip-address' several times and the last IP
9 >>> displayed is always the same. I looked it up and it's an AT&T IP
10 >>> supposedly located about 1500 miles from my machine which is also on
11 >>> an AT&T connection. Does this tell me anything?
12 >>
13 >> Yes, it tells you that all hops up to that point at least respond to
14 >> the kinds of icmp packets traceroute uses. The first hop that fails to
15 >> answer isn't answering.
16 >>
17 >> You are looking for possible reasons why icmp might not be working out
18 >> properly - that router is your first suspect. Admittedly, it might be
19 >> blocking traceroute pings and still allow the responses you seek, but
20 >> you have to start somewhere :-)
21 >
22 > So the culprit is the first IP that should appear in the list but
23 > doesn't? If so, how is that helpful since it's not displayed?
26 This is where it gets tricky. You identify the last router in the list
27 for which you have an address or name, and contact the NOC team for that
28 organization. Ask them for the next hop in routing for the destination
29 address you are trying to ping and hope that they will be kind enough to
30 help you out.
34 Alan McKinnon
35 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com