From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update behavior
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 22:50:26
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 2:31 PM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Michael Orlitzky wrote:
4 >>> On 01/01/2012 05:06 PM, Michael Mol wrote:
5 >>>> On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Michael Orlitzky<michael@××××××××.com>
6 >>>> wrote:
7 >>>>> Using "emerge --update foo" adds "foo" to your world file. This is
8 >>>>> responsible for pretty much every package that incorrectly found its way
9 >>>>> into one of my world files.
10 >>>>>
11 >>>>> Is there any reason to desire the current behavior? I'd like to suggest
12 >>>>> that
13 >>>>> it be fixed, but want to be sure I'm not just being short-sighted.
14 >>>>
15 >>>> Pretty sure that's what -1 is for. I'm just getting the hang of it
16 >>>> myself.
17 >>>>
18 >>>>
19 >>> Well, I know what I'm *supposed* to do. My complaint is basically that I
20 >>> sometimes forget to add -1 with -u, and that bad things happen as a result.
21 >>>
22 >>> But why should I have to add -1 along with it? Is there any reason you
23 >>> would ever want -u to add a package to your world file? If not, we can avoid
24 >>> headaches in the future by making it do the sane (not harmful) thing.
25 >>>
26 >>>
27 >> Using -u used to work the way you describe but that was a while ago. The
28 >> only thing I know of is to add --oneshot to make.conf so you don't forget.
29 >> I think they knew this was going to be a issue. This is in man emerge:
30 >>
31 >> --select [ y | n ]
32 >> Add specified packages to the world set (inverse of --oneshot). This is
33 >> useful if you want to use EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS to make --oneshot behavior
34 >> default.
35 >>
36 >> The way I read that is that they expect you to add --oneshot to make.conf.
37 >> Like you, this makes no sense to me. I would rather they leave it the way
38 >> it was and then not needed the --select option at all. :/
39 >>
40 >> Then again, they add confusion so we can fix it in make.conf. lol
43 >> Dale
44 >>
45 >> :-) :-)
46 >>
47 >> --
48 >> I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
49 >> you interpreted my words!
50 >>
51 >> Miss the compile output? Hint:
52 >> EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"
55 > I'm not clear. Why does one ever bother with emerge -u package? In 10
56 > years of Gentoo I've managed to get by with basically either emerge
57 > package to add something or emerge -DuN @world to stay updated. (or
58 > @system in the old days but no longer...)
59 >
60 > Not picking on anyone but in my mind emerge -u package _should_ add
61 > the package to the world file because any time I run emerge with a
62 > package name and without -1 I'm telling it to make it part of @world.
63 > If it's not part of @world, and is already on the machine, then emerge
64 > -DuN @world is the right way to get it and everything else updated.
65 >
66 > Just curious...
67 >
68 > - Mark
73 Sometimes I do my updates one package at a time. I would then use the
74 -u option so that it would be updated, not added to world. To me,
75 update means update. If there is no option then it should be installed
76 and added to world. That is how it was done for a good long while then
77 got changed.
78
79 Dale
80
84 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
85
86 Miss the compile output? Hint:
87 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"