From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Pick your hypothesis:
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 00:55:51
1 On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 19:18:17 -0500, Alan Grimes wrote:
2
3 > Since 2004, I have been using "emerge --sync" to update my portage tree.
4 > I understand that it accesses a local list of mirrors and then runs
5 > rsync against one of those. On spinning media hard disks it is helpful
6 > to pre-cache the portage tree as shown in my scripts, on SSD systems, it
7 > is simply harmless. I refreshed my mirror list and selected either HTTP
8 > or RSYNC mirrors from across the USA.
9
10 I doubt that there is an advantage in pre-caching, all you are doing is
11 taking time from the sync process and adding it to another process, but I
12 also doubt that has anything to do with your problems.
13
14 > The problem is NOT with emerge in that the files that it complains about
15 > not being present are in fact not present.
16
17 That's the rub, they are present here, so something is interfering with
18 your downloading of these patch files. Do you have any entries in
19 make.conf that would modify rsync behaviour? Try
20
21 emerge --info -v | grep -i sync
22
23 Also, what do you have in /etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.conf?
24
25 > I tried to find them on
26 > google and only found changelogs, not the actual files in a downloadable
27 > state that I can add manually.
28
29 Try https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo
30
31 > I am still angry with Emerge for not
32 > updating all packages for which those files are not required or even
33 > compiling packages until it encounters one for which it does not have
34 > the files.
35
36 It detected corruption of your portage tree, if files don't match the
37 manifests all sorts of unpleasant consequences are possible, so aborting
38 seems a safe option. Rather than trying to work around the issue, try to
39 find the cause. If the files are not on Github, file a bug report. If
40 they are, find out why rsync is not downloading them on your system but
41 is on others.
42
43 If this problem was widespread, you would have had a chorus of "me too"
44 replies and b.g.o would be full of reports - you did check b.g.o?
48 Neil Bothwick
49
50 A bit of tolerance is worth a megabyte of flaming. -- Henry Spencer