From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Make Gentoo Live USB Stick
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 21:44:33
1 On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 14:15:56 -0700
3 > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/liveusb.xml
7 >>
8 >> Don't know if it works but like all things Gentoo I suspect it does...
11 > That's the first thing that I tried, but it does not seem to involve
12 > the Gentoo Live DVD.
13 >
14 > For example, after following the procedure one comes to the point:
15 >
16 > "Download the Gentoo Weekly Minimal Install CD for your architecture
17 > from your local Gentoo Linux mirror ..."
18 >
19 > Huh?  What happened to the Live DVD iso stuff?  It's not mentioned.
20 >
21 > I ended up using Unetbootin from an MS Windows machine to copy the Gentoo
22 > Live DVD iso to a USB thumb drive.  I'm just wondering if there is a CLI
23 > procedure to copy same from Linux.
24 >
25 > Frank Peters
29 I guess I'm misunderstanding a fine point here in terms of what you
30 want to do. Immediately following those words the process does:
31
32 (Create the /mnt/cdrom mount point if needed)
33 # mkdir -p /mnt/cdrom
34 # mount -o loop,ro -t iso9660 /path/to/iso.iso /mnt/cdrom
35
36 So it seems to mount the ISO image. Is there anything other than a
37 "Gentoo Weekly Minimal Install CD" anymore? Would it matter if it was
38 a minimal ISO or something more complicated? I don't know.
39
40 In my case I was looking into building a new machine that wouldn't
41 have a CD, so I was wondering about using a USB drive vs maybe an
42 external USB CDROM drive. If you are doing something where you require
43 lots and lots of prebuilt programs on the USB drive then this ISO
44 wouldn't be appropriate.
45
46 Good luck,
47 Mark