From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: about the minimal install isos
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 02:01:24
1 On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 4:08 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 >>    As for Gentoo installs, IMHO, they are in a bit of a mess right
5 >> now. Last weekend a friend decided to give Linux a try and I helped
6 >> him install Gentoo. The tarballs still, after nearly a month I think,
7 >> didn't include all the required /dev stuff in the stage3 tarball which
8 >> caused the machine to not boot. Maybe that's what you're seeing? I
9 >
10 > I'm at the stage right now of trying to boot from the vm harddrive.
11 > What is missing from stage3?  Maybe I can get it straightened out now
12 > before turning the vm on its own.
17 /dev/null and /dev/console
18
19 Look at this post. Check the instructions near the bottom from kswtch
20 as I can confirm they work. The only catch is if your work created a
21 normal file under /dev then erase before creating the new device
22 files:
23
24 https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/gentoo-87/booting-stops-after-kernel-starts-883031/
25
26 It was a unique failure I hadn't seen before.
27
28 There was another method reported to fix this that had to do with a
29 file system called 'devtmpfs' that creates what's needed on the fly (I
30 guess) but I didn't think I was the person to try that out.
31
32 Hope this helps,
33 Mark