From: thegeezer <thegeezer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gigabyte mobo latency
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 12:03:00
1 On 19/10/14 04:15, James wrote:
2 > thegeezer <thegeezer <at> thegeezer.net> writes:
5 >> there is a little more here
6 >> http://gentoo-en.vfose.ru/wiki/Improve_responsiveness_with_cgroups
7 >> which will allow you to script creating a cgroup with the processID of
8 >> an interactive shell, that you can start from to help save hunting down
9 >> all the threads spawned by chrome.
10 >> you can then do fun stuff with echo $$ >
11 >> /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu/high_priority/tasks
12 > Yea this is cool. But when it's a cluster, with thousands of processes
13 cgroups are hierarchical, so for example if you start a bash script
14 which is in cgroup "cpu/high_prio" which then starts your processes, all
15 called programs go into the same cgroup which makes it a bit simpler.
16 also openrc will start your services in the correct cgroup too
17 > this seem to be limited by the manual parsing and CLI actions that
18 > are necessary for large/busy environments. (We shall see).
19 >
20 >> hopefully this will give you a bit more control over all of that though
21 >
22 > Gmane mandates that the previous lines be culled. That said; you have given
23 > me much to think about, test and refine.
24 >
25 > In /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu I have:
26 >
27 > cgroup.clone_children cgroup.procs cpu.shares release_agent
28 > cgroup.event_control cgroup.sane_behavior notify_on_release tasks
29 >
30 > So I'll have to research creating and priotizing dirs like "high_priority"
33 > I certainly appreciate your lucid and direct explanations.
34 > Let me play with this a bit and I'll post back when I munge things
35 > up..... Are there any "graphical tools" for adjusting and managing
36 > cgroups?
37 i thought that htop did this but i was wrong.. it only shows which
38 cgroup processes are in. that would be a killer feature though.
39 > Surely when I apply this to the myriad of things running
40 > on my mesos+spark cluster I'm going to need a well thoughout tool
41 > for cgroup management,
42 especially for non-local systems. other distros have apps such as
43 "cgclassify" which provides some shortcut to managing cgroups --
44 creation / and moving process in and out
45 you can also have a nohup process that does ps -eLf to search for
46 process you want to classify and move them into the appropriate cgroup
47 for default cgroups you can also use inotify
48 a quick search shows http://libcg.sourceforge.net/ which daemonises this
49 process.
50 all this is a bit hack'n'slash though i appreciate, so if anyone else
51 knows of suitable tools i'd also be interested to hear of them
52 > particularly on memory resources organization
53 > and allocations as spark is an "in_memory" environment that seems
54 > sensitive to OOM issues of all sorts.
55 >
56 > thx,
57 > James