From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Why are gentoo people so in love with colorizedoutput?!?
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 06:55:24
1 felix@×××××××.com <felix@×××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 05:19:09PM +0100, Nelson, David J wrote:
4 >
5 >> Do we want a UNIX standard? A linux standard? A Gentoo standard? A lowest
6 >> common denominator standard? A "what most people prefer" standard?
7 >
8 > I am not talking about which colors to use, which is a personal
9 > preference and can have no standard.
10
11 Yes, you are talking about that.
12
13 > I am talking about the most
14 > basic principles, that all programs behave the same and can be enabled
15 > or disabled in the same way.
16
17 That's not true.
18
19 > When gentoo unilaterally decides to do
20 > the opposite, it sticks out like a sore thumb. The proper way to add
21 > color to emerge and its affiliates would have been with an alias, as
22 > it does with ls, not by adding hard coded escape chars to messages,
23 > nor by defaulting to color enabled and adding untested non-functional
24 > control features to disable it.
25
26 Well, as said before: Chaning to a black/white color theme would probably
27 create quite some uproar now. IMO it's simply too late to change that.
28 BTW: I also don't see a need for changing the default.
29
30 > There are programming standards too. They include, at the most basic
31 > level, testing new features to make sure they actually work
32
33 That's what ~x86 (or any other arch) is there for. I guess nobody
34 found a problem, so it made its way to stable tree.
35
36 > When there's an upgrade to the basic commands, like /bin/ls, it is
37 > only reasonable to assume it is a useful upgrade.
38
39 In how far is /bin/ls critical for booting the system? And why
40 do you blame other people for your faults?
43 > numbers, simply do not listen to old farts who file bug reports. This
44
45 Fine. Then don't file a bug report. And also do NOT complain, because
46 not filing a bug report means, that everything is fine.
47
48 > has been from years of experience with coworkers and with mailing
49 > lists.
50
51 Are you always like this? Maybe it's the way you approach people, that
52 they do not want to listen to you.
53
54 > My rant here has been to let off steam. I am not going to waste time
55 > filing a bug report
56
57 Fine. Then don't complain. Or rather: Complain about the failures
58 YOU do, like not compiling ls statically, like not filing bug
59 reports, etc.pp..
60
61 Alexander Skwar
64 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list