From: Ionen Wolkens <ionen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] verify-sig
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2022 07:32:37
1 On Sat, Apr 09, 2022 at 02:50:30PM +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > A new use has shown up named "verify-sig".  It seems simple enough from
3 > its euse description but its causing a large number of packages to be
4 > rebuilt unnecessarily (it defaults to off on my sytems).  Should I
5 > enable it? - I can find much info on it and it looks like it will cause
6 > major user hassles considering its effects so far - I am surprised there
7 > has been no news item for it which probably means its not considered a
8 > useful use flag.
9
10 Use --changed-use/-U rather than --newuse/-N when using emerge.
11
12 With --changed-use, if USE is changing from to:
13 enabled -> removed = rebuilds
14 disabled -> removed = ignores (changes nothing, no rebuild needed)
15 missing -> disabled = ignores (likewise, this is the verify-sig)
16 missing -> enabled = rebuilds
17
18 While --newuse rebuilds in all 4 cases.
19
20 There's largely no reason to enable verify-sig as you're already
21 verifying through the Manifest. This is primarily intended for
22 developers, albeit for users it can give some assurance that
23 signatures were checked.
26 ionen