From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] arp question
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 05:00:31
1 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> writes:
2
3 > On Fri, Dec 25, 2015 at 9:00 PM, Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> grandstream.yagibdah.de (192.168.3.80) auf 00:0b:82:16:ed:9e [ether] auf
5 >>> enp2s0
6 >>> grandstream.yagibdah.de (192.168.3.80) auf 00:0b:82:16:ed:9e [ether] auf
7 >>> enp1s0
8 >>> spa.yagibdah.de (192.168.3.81) auf 88:75:56:07:44:c8 [ether] auf enp2s0
9 >>> spa.yagibdah.de (192.168.3.81) auf 88:75:56:07:44:c8 [ether] auf enp1s0
10 >>>
11 >>>
12 >>> enp2s0 is an interface dedicated to a PPPoE connection, and enp1s0
13 >>> connects to the LAN.
14 >>>
15 >>> IIUC, this is bound to cause problems.
16 >>>
17 >>> How is it possible for the wrong entries to be created, and what can I
18 >>> do to prevent them?
19 >>>
20 >>
21 >> arp mappings are untrusted so your machine will accept anything is sees on
22 >> the network. That's what makes MITM so easy on a connected subnet. What
23 >> makes you think they are wrong? Also, the output of ifconfig would be
24 >> helpful.
25 >
26 > I suspect those interfaces are getting bridged or something, but I'm
27 > not an expert on such things.
28
29 No physical interface is connected to the bridge interface, though
30 selected traffic from the devices can reach one of the VMs that are
31 connected to the bridge.
32
33 > If a given IP has a MAC on more than one interface, the interface the
34 > packets go out to is still controlled by the routing rules. If the
35 > routing rule says that 1.1.1.1 is on eth0 it doesn't matter that eth0
36 > doesn't have an ARP entry and eth1 does - I believe it will just be
37 > undelivered or sent to the gateway for eth0 if it isn't on a local
38 > subnet for that interface.
39
40 There are no arp entries created for interfaces of the host. No traffic
41 from the devices can make it to enp2s0.
42
43 > If you have some kind of routing loop it could actually make its way
44 > back to the interface on eth1.
45
46 The traffic would have to be routed back via enp2s0 from somewhere.
47 Since traffic from the devices doesn't go over enp2s0, it cannot be
48 routed back there.
49
50 > ARP doesn't come into play until the kernel goes to send something on
51 > an interface and determines it is on a subnet for that interface.
52
53 The devices are not on a subnet of the interface, hence no arp entries
54 for them should be created for that interface.
55
56 > Again, I'm not an expert in this and there could be some nuance to the
57 > rules that I'm missing.
58
59 Me neither ... The devices are functional, though I can't tell if
60 traffic from or to them can be misdirected because of the arp entries
61 that shouldn't exist. The devices might still work if some of their
62 traffic is misdirected, just not as well as they otherwise could.
63
64 Since they are VOIP devices, they are required to work well --- and the
65 VOIP quality is actually not good enough. So I'm looking for possible
66 causes, and wrong arp entries might be one.