From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Alternatives to knutclient
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 19:47:15
1 Wols Lists wrote:
2 > On 29/10/17 11:21, Dale wrote:
3 >> Power failures aren't as often the past few years anyway. I could
4 >> almost make it without a UPS BUT I do like having that extra
5 >> protection. Mine has some serious surge protection in it plus
6 >> brownout/over voltage protection/warning as well. While I have a fairly
7 >> decent power supply in this rig, I didn't buy the cheapest thing out
8 >> there, having a little extra is nice. May save my bacon one day. ;-)
9 > Depends where you live. Are you in the States?
10 >
11 > I'm in the UK and powercuts are almost unheard of AT THE MOMENT. But we
12 > keep getting dire warnings that our generation is going down, while
13 > demand is going up, and they are on the verge of crossing ...
14 >
15 > Dunno what's going to happen then, but we tend to get trips and cuts,
16 > not brownouts, so we could be in for a nasty shock in the not too
17 > distant future :-(
18 >
19 > Cheers,
20 > Wol
21
22 Yes, I do live in the States.  When I built my first rig well over a
23 decade ago, we had lots of power problems.  Some of the wires were many
24 decades old, had been spliced many times from trees failing on them, had
25 trees grown up into the lines and such.  Blinks, drop outs and such were
26 pretty much a daily thing even when weather was nice outside, no rain or
27 wind.  The local power companies told people that if they have trees
28 close to or under power lines, they were going to be dealt with, either
29 by the property owners or the power companies.  That was one of the
30 problems.  Trees were allowed to grow to the point they would touch the
31 lines or would fall on the lines during storms/winds.  It took years, a
32 decade or so, to get the trees cleared out.  Some were not happy but all
33 the power companies have the right to trim trees that can contact the
34 lines.  When they came to talk to me, I told them to cut anything that
35 could touch the lines or was dying and could touch the lines with wind
36 behind it.  Hey, I want to have good power too.  I have two fridges, two
37 freezers, a computer, TVs and such that like clean power.  Even things
38 like a well pump likes reasonably clean power.
39
40 Also, several years ago, they replaced the main lines all the way from
41 the substation to just up the road about half a mile from here.  Since
42 then, brownouts and such are rare.  Even during some pretty strong
43 storms, power is stable.  They replaced a good ten miles worth of
44 lines.  They also upgraded to three phase since a large grain and river
45 port was built across the woods.  They have HUGE, I mean HUGE,
46 fans/blowers over there.  At night, even tho I'm close to a mile away, I
47 can go outside and listen to the whirring noise they make.
48
49 We also have issues because of our aging infrastructure.  Thing is, at
50 some point the companies are going to realize they must step up and
51 upgrade/replace some things.  Just like the old lines out here, once it
52 cost more to keep repairing them instead of replacing them, they
53 replaced them.  One thing to keep in mind, if the meter isn't turning,
54 they are losing money.  It may take a while but eventually, power
55 companies will have to deal with that.  To make money, the meter has to
56 have power going through it.
57
58 I've read where a lot of countries are having issues like that.  On one
59 hand, they want us to use power, that way they make money.  On the other
60 hand, they claim to want us to conserve power.  Which is it?  LOL
61
62 I wouldn't dream of running my puter a decade ago without a UPS.  I just
63 had way to many power problems back then.  I even took the top off the
64 UPS and stuck tape over the beeper.  Every time the power would drop,
65 surge or something, it would beep.  I do like to sleep at least a
66 little.  Now tho, it's good to have in case of a severe storm but the
67 UPS rarely complains.  It has improved to the point that my newer UPS is
68 allowed to beep.  ;-)
69
70 I might add, my old UPS is now running my TV.  I'm going to catch them
71 on sale one day and get one for the living room TV as well.
72
73 I've always seen UPSs as the best insurance of decent power.  I find
74 them handy for almost anything electronic.  No matter where a person
75 lives, good power is sometimes just not going to be there.
76
77 Dale
78