From: "Jörg Schaible" <joerg.schaible@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Partition of 3TB USB drive not detected
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2016 20:48:35
1 james wrote:
2
3 > On 07/31/2016 12:56 PM, Jörg Schaible wrote:
4 >> Jörg Schaible wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Hi Daniel,
7 >>>
8 >>> thanks for your response.
9 >>>
10 >>> Daniel Frey wrote:
11 >>>
12 >>> [snip]
13 >>>
14 >>>> I can only think of two reasons, the kernel on the livecd doesn't
15 >>>> support GPT (which is unlikely)
16 >>>
17 >>> That would be really strange. However, how can I prove it?
18 >>>
19 >>>> or you're booting a 32-bit kernel live
20 >>>> USB. I am reasonably certain for drives > 2TB a 64-bit kernel and GPT
21 >>>> are required.
22 >>>
23 >>> No, I've always chosen 64-bit kernels. I wonder what is so special about
24 >>> this partition ...
25 >>
26 >> Currently I wonder, why my system can find the partition at all:
27 >>
28 >> ======================== %< ========================
29 >> # gdisk -l /dev/sdi
30 >> GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 1.0.1
31 >>
32 >> Partition table scan:
33 >> MBR: protective
34 >> BSD: not present
35 >> APM: not present
36 >> GPT: not present
37 >
38 > If you have seen my recent thread,
39
40 I saw it, but did not read it in depth, because I had the impression, it is
41 mainly about EFI systems. I'll re-read it ...
42
43 > much of this automounting during
44 > boot(strapping) is flaky that is much of what I have been searching out
45 > is a default (magical) partitioning schema that will eventually lead to
46 > clear documents on the current state of affairs not only with old versus
47 > new motherboards (mbr-->efi) and disk (mbr < 2.2T and gpt >2.2T)
48 > but including all sorts of new arm and other embedded (linux) boards.
49 >
50 > Different forms of Solid State memory are next on my list, with usb (1.x
51 > --> 3.x) being top of the SS memory mediums..... (Sorry I do not have
52 > more atm).
53 >
54 >> Creating new GPT entries.
55 >> Disk /dev/sdi: 732566646 sectors, 2.7 TiB
56 >> Logical sector size: 4096 bytes
57 >> Disk identifier (GUID): 80C04475-9B51-4A44-A52F-1F165AE02695
58 >> Partition table holds up to 128 entries
59 >> First usable sector is 6, last usable sector is 732566640
60 >> Partitions will be aligned on 256-sector boundaries
61 >> Total free space is 732566635 sectors (2.7 TiB)
62 >>
63 >> Number Start (sector) End (sector) Size Code Name
64 >> ======================== %< ========================
65 >>
66 >> However, it's mounted successfully, see system logs:
67 >>
68 >> ======================== %< ========================
69 >> [22735.626752] sd 13:0:0:0: [sdi] 732566646 4096-byte logical blocks:
70 >> [(3.00
71 >> TB/2.73 TiB)
72 >> [22735.629255] sdi: sdi1
73 >> [23414.066315] EXT4-fs (sdi1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
74 >> Opts: (null)
75 >> ======================== %< ========================
76 >>
77 >> Has anyone ever tried the recovery option of GPT disk to rebuild GPT from
78 >> MBR?
79 >
80 > I see some sort of 'auto correction' by gpt technology to convert many
81 > forms of perceived mbr to gpt to be used by the booting process for
82 > spinning rust. So this issue is not limited to usb medium. I would also
83 > point out that I'd look deeply into the usb specs for the vendor of your
84 > usb sticks, as they do some 'funky things' at the firmware level inside
85 > many of the newer/faster/larger usb devices. It not just dumb memory
86 > like the early 1.x devices. Many are slanted to Microsoft business
87 > strategies. I'm not suggesting that is your current issues. I'm merely
88 > pointing out that some newer usb sticks are systems themselves complete
89 > with firmware so the devices looks like dumb memory. Furthermore, the
90 > silicon vendors provide firmware options to usb sticks vendors (like
91 > Texas Instruments) but also the vendor add to or change the hidden
92 > firmware as meets their multifaceted business objects. Sadly, the NSA is
93 > deeply involved here, as are many nation states and large corporations.
94 > You'd be surprised what youd find in a modern usb stick, should you take
95 > it into a class 6+ clean-room for analysis. The lower the particle count
96 > the more fantastic the tools
97 > to open up silicon and look deeply into what is actually going on.
98 > This is why folks love those classified research facilities that have
99 > govt contract and folks hanging around. Lots of very, very cool toys
100 > you just do not hear about...... Way beyond microscopes built by
101 > physicist.....
102
103 Actually it is not that modern. ~5 year old Intenso 2GB. I'd be surprised if
104 booting from the stick prevents partition detection of another USB drive,
105 but who knows? Maybe I should burn the iso instead and boot that one ;-)
106
107 > Prolly not your issue, but still present. Cheap ass usb vendors often
108 > have corner issues that are unintentional, that is why well recognized
109 > vendors of SS memory are the best to deal with, for consistency of
110 > behavior.
111 >
112 > I'd use as many different tools as you can find and read the vendor &
113 > silicon manufacturer's docs to see what you are really dealing with to
114 > ferret out this weirdness. (it's a darn time sync, just so you know).
117 > [1] http://www.cleanroom.byu.edu/particlecount.phtml
118 >
119 > hth,
120 > James