From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can genkernel install files with different names?
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 13:31:35
1 On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 9:02 AM Caveman Al Toraboran
2 <toraboracaveman@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > what one doesn't use grub?
7 None that I'm aware of, but I use grub so I haven't gone looking.
8
9 Like I said, I used to do it this way and get why, but since doing it
10 the new grub way has made my life easier than fighting it with some
11 side benefits, I'm doing it that way.
12
13 Now, if you're using a tool that requires manually editing config
14 files every time make install dumps a version number into the various
15 filenames, I completely sympathize with wanting to avoid this.
16
17 Oh, one thing you might consider is symlinks assuming your bootloader
18 supports them. Then genkernel/make/whatever can create fancy
19 filenames as much as they want, and you can just symlink /boot/vmlinuz
20 to whatever you want to start up and so on. I have no idea what
21 bootloaders support symlinks on what filesystems - I know they tend to
22 be really simple tools so I wouldn't take this for granted. It would
23 be trivial to test - just create a symlink of a kernel in your
24 existing /boot and copy/paste your existing menu option to add a new
25 one that references the symlink instead of the existing kernel, and
26 see if it boots...
29 Rich