From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: aligning SSD partitions
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 14:34:56
1 On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 10:07 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 07:48:59 -0500, Dale wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> I don't think that is correct. I am clearing the files in ram. That's
6 >>> the point of drop_caches is to clear the kernels cache files. See post
7 >>> to Nicolas Sebrecht a bit ago.
8 >> Take a step back Dale and read the posts again. This is not about the
9 >> state of the cache at the start of the emerge but during it. You may
10 >> clear the cache before starting, but that doesn't stop is filling up
11 >> again as soon as the emerge reaches src_unpack().
12 >>
13 >> This has nothing to do with caching the data from the previous emerge
14 >> run, it is all from the currently running emerge. You may think you are
15 >> unpacking the tarball to disk and then loading those files into the
16 >> compiler, but you are only using the copies that are cached when you
17 >> unpack.
22 > Then take a look at it this way. If I emerge seamonkey with portage's
23 > work directory on disk and it takes 12 minutes, the first time. Then I
24 > clear the caches and emerge seamonkey again while portage's work
25 > directory is on tmpfs and it is 12 minutes. Then repeat that process a
26 > few times more. If the outcome of all those emerges is 12 minutes,
27 > regardless of the order, then putting portages work directory on tmpfs
28 > makes no difference at all in that case. The emerge times are exactly
29 > the same regardless of emerge using cache or not or portage's work
30 > directory being on tmpfs or not. I don't care if emerge uses cache
31 > DURING the emerge process because it is always enabled in both tests.
32 > The point is whether portage's work directory is on tmpfs or not makes
33 > emerges faster.
34 >
35 > The thing about what you are saying is that I ran those tests with the
36 > files in memory. What I am saying is this, that is not the case. I am
37 > clearing that memory with the drop_cache command between each test.
38
39 Dale, here's what you're missing:
40
41 emerge first downloads the source tarball and drops it on disk. Once
42 the tarball has been placed on disk, the time required to read the
43 tarball back into memory is negligible; it's a streamed format.
44
45 The next step is what's important: the tarball gets extracted into
46 PORTAGE_TEMP. At that moment onward, all the files that were inside
47 that tarball are in your file cache until something bumps it out.
48
49 If you have enough RAM, then the file will not be bumped out as a
50 consequence of build-time memory usage. As a consequence, if you have
51 enough ram, you won't see much (if any) difference in build times if
52 you're comparing tmpfs to a normal filesystem...which means tmpfs (for
53 you) won't have any benefit beyond being self-cleaning on a reboot or
54 remount.
55
56 So your drop_cache has no influence over build times, since the only
57 cache behavior that matters is whatever happens between the time
58 emerge unpacks the tarball and the time emerge exits.
59
60 To see the difference, try something like "watch drop_cache" leave
61 that running while you let a few builds fly. You should see an
62 increase in build times.
65 :wq