From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev broken...
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 18:56:29
1 On Sunday 29 November 2009 03:07:14 BRM wrote:
2 > > If not, fixing it is quite trivially easy: Get a copy of any recent
3 > > liveCD or rescue image that you can boot, and boot into it. It will find
4 > > your drives using whatever conventions it uses, and let you mount your
5 > > gentoo partitions just like you would do with installs. chroot lets you
6 > > test stuff and you can also use the compiler on the rescue disk to build
7 > > a new kernel and store it in /boot
8 > > Then boot into that new kernel, everything ought to start properly, and
9 > > immediately rebuild that kernel using your gentoo system compiler. Along
10 > > the way you might have to edit your fstab to use sda devices instead of
11 > > hda ones.
12 >
13 > Thanks! That seems to be a good plan. I built it earlier, but for some
14 > reason grub won't boot it - perhaps b/c I gzip compress the kernel (kernel
15 > option)? Not sure. Going to figure it out though.
18 More likely you got the chipset drivers wrong. There's been a lot of changes
19 in that area over the past 18 months or so. gzip is the default compression
20 for the kernel, I can't think of any reason why a kernel cannot decompress
21 itself.
22
23 As a side note: I always keep a rescue USB disk handy in my box of tricks. I
24 use RIPLinux (there are many alternatives) as it supports all imaginable disk
25 hardware, plus software raid, lvm and who knows what else. I keep it up to
26 date with latest current version, this little gadget has saved many a machine
27 from a reinstall and data loss.
30 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com