From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: ceph on gentoo?
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 18:08:19
1 Stefan G. Weichinger <lists <at> xunil.at> writes:
4 > > Though this was a year ago or so. Your mileage may vary and it is
5 > > likely that during this year stability was improved. Ceph is very
6 > > promising by both design and capabilities.
7
8 > I expect that there were many changes over the time of a year ... they
9 > went from v0.72 (5th stable release) in Nov 2013 to v0.80 in May 2014
10 > (6th stable release) ... and v0.87 in Oct 2014 (7th ...)
11 > We get 0.80.7 in ~amd64 now ... I will see.
12 > Ad "slow": what kind of hardware did you use and how many nodes/osds?
13
14 I too am building up a (3 node) cluster on btrfs/ceph.
15 My hardware is AMD 8350 (8 cores) with 32G of ram on each mobo. I have water
16 coolers installed and intend to crank up to 6GHz after the cluster is
17 stable. My work has been idle for about a month due to other, more pressing,
18 needs. My cluster will be openrc centric, many others are systemd centric. ymmv.
19
20 I intend to run mesos+spark to keep some codes "in-memory" and thus
21 only write out to HD, when large jobs are finished. Here is the lab
22 that is pushing the state of the art on "in-memory" computations [1].
23 Spark is now managed under the Apache umbrella of projects.
24
25 I believe that most of the current problems folks encounter with btrfs+ceph,
26 are related to the need to tune the underlying linux
27 kernels with advanced tools and testing [2].
28
29 I think there is an ebuild (don't remember where) that puts trace-cmd,
30 ftrace and kernel shark into a gentoo gui package. I opened a bug on
31 BGO (Bug 517428), but so far it is still in search of a maintainer.
34 I hope an active group of gentoo-clustering emerges after the herds/projects
35 at gentoo are re-organized. The science herd/project
36 is your best bet for folks with similar interests in gentoo clusters,
37 imho [3].
40 hth,
41 James
44 [1] https://amplab.cs.berkeley.edu/