From: maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub hell
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 02:41:41
1 > Grub can perfectly from a floppy disk. See "info
2 > grub" (the full grub
3 > documentation, the man page is crap) in order to
4 > learn how to create a
5 > grub floppy disk (or CD/R(W)). You will then be able
6 > to set the BIOS
7 > boot order to default and see what a freshly booted
8
9 Arrgh! Now I learn this box won't boot from a floppy!
10
11 It bipasses the floppy completely unless I disable ALL
12 the drives except the floppy and then I get:
13
14 Invalid boot diskette: insert BOOT disk in A:\
15
16 Huh? Maybe it's because this is a Dell PIII and
17 requires a proprietary DOS boot disk.
18
19 There seems to be two methods from what I can find on
20 the Web: copying menu.lst to /mnt/floppy/boot/grub and
21 copying /boot/grub/stage1 and /boot/grub/stage2 to a
22 floppy I tried them both without success.
23
24 Of course I can still boot the gentoo-install CD but
25 then I have to chroot to run grub which puts me back
26 in the hole.
27
28 Now, I don't have a burner on the PIII, but I have one
29 on another box. Can someone suggest a method to burn a
30 grub-boot CD that won't leave me with a coaster -- got
31 plenty of those :(
32
33 -mw
37 Get easy, one-click access to your favorites.
38 Make Yahoo! your homepage.
39 http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
40 --
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list