From: Michael Hampicke <gentoo-user@××××.biz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Encfs suddenly read-only
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 14:12:56
1 Am 14.05.2012 14:33, schrieb felix@×××××××.com:
2 > I have been using encfs to store most of my home dir for ages. I rebooted Sunday morning (it's a ~amd64 system) to change kernel to 3.3.5 from 3.3.4, and sometime overnight, after the nightly backups and mail archives had run, the encfs mounted partition became read-only. I know the timing only by the cron jobs; the nightly mail backup moves files from the /home partition to the encfs partition, and it had not failed. I unmounted the encfs partition, remounted, and it was read-only right from the get go.
3 >
4 > There are no errors in /var/log/messages of any sort since the 3.3.5 boot. The mount command showed both the encfs partition and the underlying regular partition as rw, not ro.
5 >
6 > I just now rebooted back to 3.3.4, and it's read-write, but so was 3.3.5 at the beginning, and for at least 20 hours. I do not know if the read-only switch was from a time delay, from some activity, from the kernel change, or some other package. If it lasts a day or two without switching to read-only, I will try 3.3.5 again.
7 >
8 > I am going to set up a screen session to check the rw capability every minute, to see if pinning down the time helps any with the log file.
9 >
10 > Does anyone know of any package changes that would have caused this? Neither google nor the gentoo bug search found anything interesting for "encfs" or "fuser".
13 If I remember correctly, EncFS is not a file system on it's own, it's
14 more like an addon to any other file system.
15 So maybe the problem is not with EncFS, but the underlaying file system.
16
17 A wild guess would be that the underlaying filesystem of your EncFS
18 partition is ext2/3/4 and has run out of inodes? You can check the inode
19 count with 'df -i'
20
21 This happend to me once, but I cannot remember if the file system then
22 was mounted readonly or there were 'out-of-space' error messages.
23
24 If that does not help, try to fsck your EncFS partition. Unmount first.