From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MySQL > MariaDB - is it time?
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 04:40:46
1 On Mar 2, 2012 3:50 AM, "Tanstaafl" <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi all,
4 >
5 > I just came across this thread today on the MariaDB discuss list about
6 the poor stewardship of Oracle with respect to MySQL (and it references
7 Oracle's track record of poor handling of the FLOSS projects it inherited
8 when it bought Sun):
9 >
10 > https://lists.launchpad.net/maria-discuss/msg00514.html
11 >
12 > In it is discussed - among many other things including lots of good
13 reason *why* - the possibility of replacing MySQL with MariaDB in
14 anticipation of Oracle's current poor stewardship of MySQL...
15 >
16 > My question is - shouldn't gentoo be considering this move as well?
19 > I've been seriously considering this for my own servers for some time,
20 and after reading this, I think it is time to stop thinking about it and
21 just do it, but I'm a bit nervous - ianap, and don't want to shoot myself
22 in the foot in the process.
23 >
24 > Anyone here ever done the switch want to share their experience?
27 Back in the ubuntu-server mailing list, this has been the topic of a lively
28 discussion last week.
29
30 The consensus seemed to be that MariaDB and Percona would be drop-in
31 replacements for MySQL.
32
33 Myself, I'm a PostgreSQL guy so I have no opinion ;-)
34
35 Rgds,