From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Problem with disk: cannot mount as ext3 but can as ext2
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 23:02:19
1 On 10/8/06, gregory.sacre@×××××.com <gregory.sacre@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > | In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
3 > | dmesg | tail or so
4
5 This was good advice....
6
7 > | # fsck.ext3 -p /dev/hdd
8 > | fsck.ext3: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/hdd
9 > | /dev/hdd:
10
11 Should have used /dev/hdd1 here....
12
13 > | # e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hdd
14 > | e2fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
15 > | e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/hdd
16
17 ...and here...
18
19 > ext2... and it worked!!! I tried then to mount it normally, not
20 > anymore as read-only with ext2 format... and it worked!!!
21 > So my first question is: how come?
22
23 Possibly a disk error on the blocks that would normally be reserved
24 for the ext3 journal...
25
26 > | /dev/hdd1: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short
27 > read while reading block 525
28 > |
29 > | /dev/hdd1: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short
30 > read reading journal superblock
31
32 ...which is sort of what this message says.
33
34 > Is there anything wrong with my hardware? Is it a super-block problem?
35 > Is there a way to solve it?
36
37 First, check the dmesg output after running "fsck.ext3 /dev/hdd1".
38 That may show read errors on the disk, and if so, I'm guessing those
39 blocks are now bad. You can also use smartctl (emerge smartmontools)
40 to query the SMART information from the drive, or to run a SMART
41 self-test of the disk.
42
43 I believe you can also convert the filesystem to ext2, with "tune2fs
44 -O ^has_journal /dev/hdd1". This should allow you to run fsck.ext2 on
45 the filesystem, to check it for other consistency errors.
46
47 -Richard
48 --
49 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list