From: Christoph Eckert <ce@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dmcrypt for a /home directory that already has many files on it
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:42:22
1 > I was planning to use dmcrypt on my /home partition and I read the
2 > proceedure on the Gentoo Wiki.  I think though, that the proceedures
3 > given there are for new partitions without a filesystem.  Maybe I am
4 > wrong.
5
6 I didn't read it, but if this encryption crypts a complete partition,
7 then I'd like to recommend to better use a crypted loopback mounted
8 file. The reason is backup: In the latter case you can simply compress
9 the crypted container and back it up - it is still crypted.
10
11 I did it this way some time ago and found it very convenient.
12
13 > Anyway, I wondered if there would be any problem with temporarily
14 > moving my /home data to some new directory on /usr, then using the
15 > dmcrypt on the /home directory, and finally copying all of the old
16 > /home data back onto the new encrypted partition?
17
18 Put it in a tarball preserving all file attributes (ownership and other
19 flags) and untar it into the crypted container after mounting it.
22 Best regards
25 ce
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list