From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UEFI data corruption? [FIXED]
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 18:01:42
1 On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 09:50:44 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2
3 > The Gentoo Handbook says to create a small unformatted partition at the
4 > beginning of the (primary?) disk, then to create a FAT-32 partition for
5 > /boot, then whatever other partitions are required.
6 >
7 > Neil said above that he doesn't do that; he omits the unformatted
8 > partition, and I believe that's quite popular. I tried following the
9 > same scheme, but that's what caused the difficulties I started this
10 > thread with: on this system I need both those partitions. The system
11 > will not boot without both of them. [1]
12
13 [snip]
14
15 > 1. I remember, dimly, that while commissioning this machine from new,
16 > I had trouble installing and running grub:2. I knew even less about
17 > UEFI systems then, so if I were to try it again now I might find a way.
18 > But I hate the damn thing, so as long as I don't need it it's not
19 > getting near my machines.
20
21 I thought you were using systemd-boot, not GRUB? GRUB may need the
22 protected MBR space, but I only use GRUB on non-UEFI systems, where the
23 blank partition is needed with GPT partitioning.
27 Neil Bothwick
28
29 It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a
30 warning to others.