From: Tom Haddon <mthaddon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] eth0 does not exist
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 16:36:10
1 Hi Folks,
2
3 Very new to Gentoo, although not to Linux. I'm trying it out in QEMU,
4 and have just completed the installation. Only problem is I can't seem
5 to connect to the internet. QEMU is basically meant to provide an
6 emulated network card to the OS it's hosting. Works fine for the install
7 CD. Anyway, seeing as I was very new to the whole thing, I went with the
8 genkernel option. As I say, everything seems to boot fine, except that I
9 get this message:
10
11 Starting eth0
12 Bringing up eth0
13 dhcp
14 eth0 does not exist
15 ERROR: problem starting needed services.
16 "netmount" was not started
17
18 I've tried /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start and /etc/init.d/netmount start and
19 they both complain that eth0 doesn't exist. But if I do lspci I see my
20 emulated network card right there:
21
22 00:03.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
23 RTL-8029(AS)
24
25 Can anyone help out? Am I just missing a kernel module?
26
27 Tom Haddon
28 mailto:mthaddon@×××××.com
29
30 You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely.
34 Random quotes courtesy of fortune.
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list